Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop

Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop

To day I find introduce you this Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop You can see Now!

BuZZ from Customer Shopping

Full Review of the New MacBook... by a former Windows PC User5
My review... take it for what it is... mine. (I provide my story so that you can see why I purchased this computer. If you don't care, don't read the review).

To me, Mac always seemed like it would take a leap of faith. Having had very little interaction with Macs and even less knowledge about them, I was set to be a Windows boy for life. However, recently I found out that I will be going on a ship that is gone all of the time (I'm in the Navy). Needing to have my kids see me reading books to them and me needing to see my kids, I planned on leaving my current laptop with my wife and getting a new one for me (she doesn't care about electronics). This way we could create DVDs and send them to each other for our kids and myself. I went into a store looking to spend not too much and was attracted by the HP entertainment laptops. However... when looking at a $[...] laptop I knew I would have to add an anti-virus ($[...]-$[...]) and a movie making program ($[...]-$[...]). The guy at the store told me that for what I was looking at in price I should check out the Macs.

Low and behold... there were the Macs. Each sitting there, looking different, and pricey. I was then told about iLife and how I would be able to use iMovie to make my movies, iChat to chat with my family on webcam, iPhoto to import and fix up pictures, and other stuff. WoW! My previous experience with the Windows based programs of this nature was that you'd be better off buying these types of software than using what was included by the computer. However, the sales guy, who was not on commission, swore by them. Also, Macs don't need anti-virus software to boot! I was sold when he told me the difference in the customer satisfaction index when comparing Macs and all of the other computer makers.

I took the plunge.

As you can see from my stars... I'm glad I did. I will NEVER go back to a windows based PC. EVER. While this computer has a few cons, which I will list later, it is much better than what you can get for the same price as far as a PC. Here is what I liked:

The Exterior:

This computer is small. Its compact, it feels really sturdy, and its stylish. There is an apple on the back that lights up from the light of the LCD screen, pretty neat. Also, the keys have just the right punch for those of us that know how to type. The F keys also double for the bright level of the screen, the feature expose (which is outstanding!), and movie stop, go, vol, etc. There is an eject button next to the F12, which works well with this type of drive.

The Interior: iLife is a great program. All of the stuff that comes with it will ensure that unless you need something very very professional you won't have to buy any software. Home videos are awesome with this thing. I can't really compare Leopard to the previous operating systems... since this is my first mac... but I can tell you that it kicks vista's butt. An example; I wanted to hook up my printer, which has only been used on Windows PCs before, and I plugged it in. That's it. I plugged it in and it worked. No drivers, no software, nothing. As soon as I plugged it in and click to make it my default printer it was printing. HOLY COW! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN MISSING! Since I've started using my Mac I have had ZERO "trying to find a solution to the problem" pop ups, ZERO "this program has stopped working", ZERO freezes, ZERO compatibility issues with current hardware (external drive of music and wireless network), and ZERO defects found.

Now the cons:

1) 120 GB hard drive... Yes its easy to hook up the "time machine" or to keep all of your photos or movies on an external hard drive, but for a company that has a 120 GB MP3 player that's just over $[...]... come on!

2) The mouse pad doesn't let you double click for actions to occur. You have to push the button. As a lifetime Windows user this took some getting used to. However... you can scroll up and down easily by using two fingers. I've enjoyed this so much that I'm going to call it a draw :)

3) No multimedia slot for media card, etc. Apple! What are you doing?!?! Its a simple thing to install and it make it much easier for me so that I don't have to always remember where that stupid USB cord that hooks my camera to my computer is. I'd much rather take the card out and insert it.

That's all of my cons.

Once again... I LOVE THIS MAC. On the 2 GB of RAM that it has it works just as well as a windows PC with 4 or more GB. That's because the OS is designed better and the processes don't bog it down. The processor is fast enough to where this seems faster than my wifes 2.4 gHZ laptop (of course that is in conjunction with other aspects of the computer). The colors are great, and the system is great. You WILL have the "Mac Learning Curve" as I was told... it takes about 4-5 hours to get used to and 10-15 to really get to know, but its worth it. Plus, Apple puts videos on each function so that when you open it, it explains how to use it.

I took the leap of faith, and now I'm a believer. So long windows!!! Never again! Spend the extra [...]-[...] bucks... you'll save it anyway by not having to get the anti-virus and having all the stuff you need on it. Oh, and go to [...] after you get your Mac. Its a non-profit site that I've started using to help me learn the system and it's great.

FIVE STARS!

***UPDATE***

Still using this MacBook and still loving it. I've gotten really good with what it has to offer and am still amazed at how easy it is to use compared to Windows based PCs. The iLife 09 software (incl) has proven itself very useful and works well with other software. An example, Photoshop works well with iPhoto. I haven't run into any wall and still recommend it with 5 stars.

Simply works....5
This is my first mobile Mac - and I like it. I had spent more than a few hours pondering the decision of which MacBook to get and I feel that I picked the right one for my needs.

This White 2.0 MacBook is a terrific combination of price and features: you can expect similar performance to the uni-body Aluminum 2.0 MacBooks, but $100s cheaper. Plus, this MacBook comes with FireWire and uses cheaper DDR2 ram. Only significant trade off that I can see is losing the uber-cool uni-body design. Less significant is not getting the uni-Body's LED backlight, multi-touch, and some monitor support.

Comparing this MacBook to previous generation MacBooks (non-unibody); the change to the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M will provide a large boost in graphics performance over the Intel units. Supposedly, this is new hardware that OS X 10.6 will be able to take further advantage of.

Overall performance has surprised me. I had planned to drop in 4GB of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive, but I am so pleased with the operation that I just don't see the need. I use it for web browsing, iPhoto, Mail, Word, Excel, etc. So far I have not experienced any stutters or pauses. If I were to run Vista apps or edit HD video, I am sure that this might change the need for more ram.

Regarding comfort, I have not noted any heat build-up, nor is there excessive fan noise. Keep in mind that I haven't taxed it much. The overall build quality seems fine.

Through the years I usually bought from Apple's refurb store, but I am am very pleased with this purchase and feel that I received an excellent value.

Follow-up Feb 26, 2009: "Still 5 Stars"

After several weeks of use on a daily basis, I continue to be impressed by this product and just how much OS X has advanced (and I am also a very heavy XP/Vista laptop user in my professional life). Everything just comes together so well and this MacBook's performance continues to surprise me. I just slammed it pretty hard by applying facial recognition to our 12,000+ piece iPhoto library and it just works great. Apple sure made up some ground in the last couple years.

It's Good to Be Home Again4
My first Apple was an Apple II Plus way back in 1980. Those five hundred dollar each 5.25 drives still haunt me. Then came 1985 and I switched to Microsoft and sold my box of Apple stuff. Since then I have been a Windows user both personally and professionally, finishing up a third career as a systems person managing hundreds of installations, servers etc etc. Upon retirement (who else has three laptops and five desktops running Linux, XP, Vista, and now OS X) I began to dabble once again in the Apple world. I think it was Vista that pushed me over the edge; Vista and all the evildoers who try to infect our PC machines with viruses and malware. Dante should have a new circle of Hell for them.

First I tried a MacMini to try out the operating system. It wasn't easy to upgrade but I did it--bigger HD and more memory. I love that little machine and it was cheap.

Then my old Toshiba laptop began to exhibit signs of death. Time for a decision. I could continue to use my test box Dell laptop D600 (solid machine) with three swapping HD's--Linux, XP, and FreeBSD (yeah, I know), or make the switch to Apple for good.

Being retired and semi-poor, I researched and went with this new MacBook White 2.0. First you just have to upgrade the HD and memory, but that is easy and cheap. The Momentus 320/7200 and some Crucial memory are the way to go, and your total cost is only about 130 bucks. Using SuperDuper to clone the drive is dead easy.

The MacWhite is kinda ugly, no doubt about it. Even my wife who is a very practical, no nonsense computer user and never cares what a computer looks like as long as it works, said it was an ugly little thing, yes? And yes, for the same bucks you can get a seemingly faster PC laptop with bigger screen. But hey, for a bigger screen, I use my MacMini on a nice old 19inch LCD. Laptops are for laps, for traveling, for packing around, and for daily use. If you can only afford one and want both, then by all means spend a couple of grand and get the big one with 17inch screen.

Overall I like the following: OS is a dream to use; ergonomics the best, software better than most and no time wasted on all that junk that you have to do to keep XP/Vista safe and running smoothly. Could that be the Unix ancestry? I think so. Weight and size are just fine for my needs. It is portable and connects quickly to foreign and domestic networks. I like the firewire that they kept, and the superdrive they added. I like the keyboard and ease of cleaning the case.

Things I would change if Apple hired old computer guys from the trenches: keypad on this model probably not as cool as that on the more expensive model; a black model would cost so much to offer for the same price; the display okay but again probably not as cool as the 1250 dollar model of the same machine with the aluminum case and backlit screen. Which has a smaller carbon footprint--polycarbonate or aluminum? Who knows. It seems tough and probably won't dent.

If you want good guts, though, and aren't a fashion conscious poser, then this is the box for you. Take the 3 or 4 hundred dollar savings and buy some extra goodies--bluetooth mouse, case, and some software plus upgrades and you will be much happier.

If you want a gamer, go upscale or get a high-end PC. I have Fusion on my MacMini and the Vista package only gets used about once a month. I may try the boot camp routine on this laptop if Windows 7 is worth anything, then again, by then I may be totally brainwashed and have only Linux and OS X.? Ubuntu sure has come a long way.

The price schedule could be improved for Apple products but then again, sometimes even a used Lexus is a better deal than a new Chevy.

I give it 4.5 stars. Good luck and enjoy your Macbook.

P.S. Oh yes, there are lots of good videos, training materials etc to get you from PC to Mac. And one last thing: their delete key is too bizarre: it is really a backspace key, but you can fool it into becoming a PC delete key by holding down the fn key while you use it, then it goes forward like we old PC geeks are used to seeing.

About Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop detail

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #192 in Personal Computers
  • Color: Black
  • Brand: Apple
  • Model: MB881LL/A
  • Dimensions: .95" h x 12.78" w x 8.94" l, 5.00 pounds
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz
  • Memory: 2000MB DDR2 SDRAM
  • Hard Disk: 200GB
  • Processors: 1
  • Battery type: Lithium Ion
  • Display size: 13.3

Features

  • 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
  • 2GB of DDR2 memory
  • 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 8x double-layer slot loading SuperDrive
  • Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Operating System
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400MGgraphics

Apple MacBook MB881LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop Description

MacBook has everything you need to do everything you need. Advanced NVIDIA graphics provide outstanding performance for 3D games and graphics-intensive applications. The fast Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of memory standard give you more than enough horsepower to get the job done. MacBook includes a 13-inch glossy widescreen display that makes images come alive and offers a slew of innovative features, including a built-in iSight camera,4 AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi,2 a 120GB hard drive,3 and a SuperDrive for burning CDs and DVDs. And since MacBook is sure to become your constant companion, a durable white polycarbonate shell keeps it ready for the rough and tumble of everyday life. (2)Based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification. Wireless Internet access requires a base station or other wireless access point and Internet access; fees may apply. Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort Extreme. (3)GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less. (4)Video chatting requires a broadband Internet connection; fees may apply. (5)Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.


Bye Bye
Cheers and Care